If you tuned in to the Google I/O 2023 conference, you are bound to remember the exciting announcements related to artificial intelligence (AI). Among the various announcements, one that caught everyone’s attention was the introduction of Google AI generative search in Google. Similar to Microsoft Bing’s capabilities, this new feature allows users to receive AI-generated search results. However, before you can enjoy this feature, you need to enable it. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the steps to sign up and activate Google’s AI search feature.
Sign up for Google AI Generative Search Using Google Labs
Google’s new Generative AI Search Engine is currently not available to the general public. Therefore, you will need to sign up for it through Google Labs. Start by ensuring you have one of the best VPNs for Windows installed and set to the United States. Once you have done that, follow the steps below:
1. Visit the labs.google.com website to access the main page.
2. Scroll down until you find the Google Search waitlist.
3. Click on the “Join waitlist” option.
4. If you are not already signed in, click on “Sign in to continue” to proceed.
5. Once signed in, you will be taken to the waitlist screen. Click the “Join waitlist” button to finalize the process.
Congratulations! You have successfully joined the waitlist for Google’s AI Generative Search Experience. Please note that spots on the waitlist are limited, so it may take some time before you gain access. Nevertheless, once you receive a spot, you can proceed with the activation process on your PC and mobile devices. Now, let’s move on to the next step.
How to Enable Google Generative AI Search
After some time, you should receive an email notifying you of your spot in the waitlist. Once you receive this email, follow the steps below to enable Google’s Generative AI Search:
1. Open the email and click on the “Go to Labs” link provided.
2. This will take you to the Labs page, where you will find the option to turn on Google AI Generative Search Experience.
3. Toggle this option on to enable the feature.
4. You will then be presented with the terms and conditions. Take the time to read through them carefully.
5. If you agree to the terms and conditions, click “I agree” to finalize the activation process.
Congratulations! Google’s new artificial intelligence-backed search experience is now available on your devices. Let’s move on to using it.
How to Use Google Generative AI Search Experience
Now that you have enabled Google’s AI Generative Search Experience, it’s time to start using it on both desktop and mobile devices. Before we begin, ensure that your VPN is turned on if you are not residing in the United States. Follow the steps below to use the all-new Google SGE:
1. Go to google.com and enter your search query as you normally would.
2. You may have already noticed the Generative AI banner displayed below the search bar.
3. Instantly, Google’s Generative AI Search Experience will scour the internet and provide you with a quick answer above the regular search results.
4. A unique feature of this experience is the ability to ask follow-up questions in Converse mode. Simply type your question, and Google SGE will respond accordingly.
Congratulations! You now have access to Google’s New AI Generative Search Experience. Keep your VPN turned on and have fun exploring its capabilities.
Q1: Is Google’s AI Generative Search Engine available to everyone?
A1: No, currently, it is only available to a limited number of users who have signed up through Google Labs.
Q2: What is the purpose of using a VPN in this process?
A2: The use of a VPN set to the United States allows users outside of the United States to access Google’s AI Generative Search Experience.
Q3: Can I use Google’s AI Generative Search Experience on both my PC and mobile devices?
A3: Yes, once you enable the feature, you can use it on both desktop and mobile devices.
Q4: How long does it typically take to gain access to Google’s AI Generative Search Experience after joining the waitlist?
A4: The wait time may vary, as spots on the waitlist are limited. It may take some time before you receive access to the feature.
Q5: Can I ask follow-up questions in Converse mode?
A5: Yes, Converse mode allows users to ask follow-up questions, and Google’s AI Generative Search Experience will respond accordingly.