Uploading your ads.txt file to the root directory of your website is a simple process that can help ensure that your website is in compliance with industry standards for online advertising. The ads.txt file is used to specify which companies are authorized to sell advertising on your website, and it is a requirement for many ad networks, including Google AdSense.
Here are the steps to upload your ads.txt file to the root directory of your website:
- Create an ads.txt file: The first step is to create an ads.txt file, which is a plain text file that contains information about the authorized ad networks and resellers for your website. You can create this file using a text editor like Notepad or TextEdit.
- Add your information to the file: Once you have created the file, you will need to add information about your authorized ad networks and resellers. The format for this information is as follows:
network_name, publisher_id, account_type
For example, if you are using Google AdSense, the line in your ads.txt file should look like this:
google.com, pub-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, DIRECT
- Save the file: After you have added the information about your authorized ad networks and resellers, save the file. Make sure to save it as plain text and not as a word processing document.
- Upload the file to your website: Next, you will need to upload the ads.txt file to the root directory of your website. This can typically be done using an FTP client or through your website’s file manager.
- Check your file: Once the file has been uploaded, you should check to make sure that it is accessible by visiting the following URL:
- Verify with Google AdSense: Finally, you will need to verify that you have uploaded the ads.txt file to your website with Google AdSense. Log in to your AdSense account and navigate to the “My Sites” page. You should see a message indicating that your ads.txt file has been verified.
By following these steps, you can easily upload your ads.txt file to the root directory of your website and ensure that your website is in compliance with industry standards for online advertising.