During Google I/O 2023, Google introduced several new Artificial Intelligence (AI) features, including PaLM 2, updates to Google Bard, Generative AI Search, and more. One of the exciting introductions was the “Help me Write” feature for Google Workspace, which helps you write content, also known as Duet AI. This feature is now available to users, allowing them to write with the assistance of AI in Google Docs. In this tutorial, we will guide you on how to enable and use “Help Me Write” in Google Docs, as well as how to disable it if desired.
Enable “Help me write” in Google Docs
To enable the “Help me write” feature in Google Docs, follow these steps:
1. Visit the Google Workspace website and sign up for generative AI experiences in Google Docs and other Workspace apps. You can do this by clicking on the “Sign Up” button at the top of the page.
2. After signing up, you will receive an email notification. Open Google Docs by visiting the official website.
3. Once you have opened Google Docs, you will see a floating “Help me write” button in the top-left corner of the page.
Use “Help me write” in Google Docs
Now that you have enabled the “Help me write” feature, here’s how you can use it while writing in Google Docs:
1. Start a new document or open an existing one in Google Docs.
2. Click on the “Help me write” button in the top-left corner of the page.
3. A sidebar will appear on the right side of the document, providing suggestions and assistance while you write.
4. As you type your content, the AI will offer suggestions for completing sentences, suggesting relevant phrases, providing additional information, and more. Simply click on a suggestion to add it to your document.
Disable “Help me write” in Google Docs
If you want to disable the “Help me write” feature in Google Docs, follow these steps:
1. Click on the “Help me write” button in the top-left corner of the page to open the sidebar.
2. At the bottom of the sidebar, click on the gear icon (settings).
3. In the settings menu, toggle off the “Help me write” option.
4. The “Help me write” feature will now be disabled, and the sidebar will no longer appear in Google Docs.